What’s your name?
Richard John Alexander-Barnes (Double-Barrel Surname). Everyone calls me Barnesey though. So, let’s go with that.
What do you do at AllSquares?
For now, I’m a Delivery Consultant. I’m very new to the Tech space, doing delivery in the meantime will allow me to get a better understanding of the Industry and how to navigate it. I reckon in 3 – 6 months I’ll be up to speed and go full consultant from there.
- The People – Danny & Jules have been on my radar for a few years. I’d always heard good things about how the guys operated professionally and socially. When I found out they were looking to add to the team, I jumped at the opportunity to get onboard.
- The Challenge – For some time I’d had it in the back of my mind I should get involved in the technology sector, in some shape or form. I wasn’t sure how I was going to do it though; being the fact I haven’t directly worked in the space all that much before. The guys at AllSquares were willing to help guide my ambition of getting started in Tech. I managed to convince them I’m up for the many challenges the sector brings. Danny & Jules seemed up for taking the risk and giving me my shot.
- The opportunity to learn – I felt that not knowing enough about technology and the wider tech space was a gap in my skill set; in my opinion it was a drawback that I needed to address.
- The location – Since arriving in Melbourne I’ve worked primarily in the CBD, I don’t have anything against the big smoke specifically it’s just a lot nicer working closer to home. I’m Fitzroy North based so Fitzroy is pretty much on my doorstep. Being able to walk to work is a huge bonus!
- The fact I can bring my dog to work – I’m the proud owner of a six year old Ex-Racer Greyhound called Woody. He’s spoiled rotten and I don’t like the Idea of leaving him at home on his own all day. Having dogs in the office is part of the AllSquares culture. In work, it’s often the small things that can make the biggest difference. For me, this was huge.
3 apps you can’t live without?
- Spotify – I’m a music tragic, I use Spotify everyday. I could do with creating a few more playlists though. So far, I’ve made one titled ‘My First Playlist’. Got all sorts in there
- YouTube – I’m a huge sports fan, there’s no better way of catching up on highlights or reminiscing on a big golf, tennis, boxing event from bygone years than through YouTube.
- Facebook Messenger – I genuinely don’t call or text people unless it’s through Facebook Messenger. I’d be pretty F***d If I didn’t have it.
AFL – Richmond – I arrived in Melbourne at the backend of 2016, at that point Richmond were in crisis mode. My first rental house in Melbourne was in Richmond. Despite being warned of the pain I’d endure being a Richmond fan I decided to follow them.
Four years and three flags later I’m happy with my decision.
EPL – Manchester United – Growing up 19 miles from Manchester and 18 miles from Liverpool, you really only have a few choices of who you’re going to support. United, Liverpool, City or Everton.
My mum was a huge Eric Cantona fan so I picked United and up until reasonably recently have enjoyed unbridled success. With Ole at the wheel though, things seem to be slowly returning to how they were; still a way to go yet though.
NRL/Super League – Warrington Wolves & Melbourne Storm – I grew up in a relatively small town in the North west of England, sandwiched between two cultural juggernauts, Manchester & Liverpool. The Town I’m talking about is Warrington.
Warrington is famous for being a traditional manufacturer of wire and is also known for it’s Rugby League team; the Warrington Wolves.
Rugby league is part of the fabric of the town and is in the blood of Warringtonians. As a kid I was taken to Warrington games with family and went regularly with friends. I never really had much say in the matter, I had to be a Warrington Wolves fan.
I always admired The Storm when I was home in the UK, I started following them more intently when I arrived in Melbourne.
Last 3 records you listened to?
- Big Daddy Kane – Veteranz Day
- Erykah Badu – Mama’s Gun
- Richie Havens – Connections
- Beer – Lager, Lager, Lager – If it’s european and 5% I’ll drink it.
- Wine (Red) – The bolder and redder the better as far as I’m concerned. Give me a Shiraz or Malbec any day.
- Scotch Whisky – I specifically like the Islay Malts; Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg etc, The peatier the better!
Favourite Cuisine – Italian – Who doesn’t like a bit of pizza or pasta, seriously?
Favourite Dish – Surf & Turf – Would be my death row meal for sure.